Chef Vidal’s recipe for Escalivada; eggplant, red pepper and onions, fire roasted until charred and soft, peeled, chopped, and served over labne yogurt with fresh herbs, olive oil and house-made flatbread.
Ingredients for the Escalivada
• Spanish onion (whole, skin on)
• Japanese eggplant
• Red bell pepper
• Salt, pepper, sherry vinegar and olive oil to taste
Ingredients for the dish
• Labne yogurt
• Fresh herb mix (basil, mint, dill, chives)
• Olive oil
• Maldon salt
• Naan bread, country bread or anything good for sopping!
• Roast the eggplant over an open flame until soft. Peel and set aside.
• Fire roast the red pepper until completely charred.
Peel, remove the seeds and set aside.
• Cook the onion, skin on, in a 450ºF oven until charred and soft. Peel and set aside.
• Cut all of the ingredients in medium size chunks.
• Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl and drizzle with salt, pepper,
sherry vinegar and olive oil to taste.
• Spoon a few tablespoons of labne yogurt on the bottom of a plate.
• Add the seasoned Escalivada on top and finish with roughly chopped herbs.
• Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with maldon salt and fresh ground black pepper.
• Serve with hot, fresh, bread on the side.